Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Trivial packet-sip.c [patch]

From: "Martin Mathieson" <martin.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:01:16 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Roland" <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
To: "Ethereal development" <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Trivial packet-sip.c [patch]

> Am 24.03.2006, 15:11 Uhr, schrieb Martin Mathieson
> <martin.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This patch adds a hidden 'sip.auth' field, that will be present whenever
> > one of the authenticiation/authorization headers is present.
> >
> > I believe this is one place where hidden fields are justified:
> > - it is a substring of several sip.auth.* fields, so its reassuring to
> > see the field turn green as you're typing in one of the visible fields
> > - it lets you quickly find all of the frames with any of these fields
> > (there are 4 different SIP headers that can contain the auth fields)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Martin
> >

> You can achieve the same with sip.auth.scheme, which is a mandatory item
> in these headers.

This is true, but sip.auth is easier to remember.  I also don't like to have
some sip.auth.* fields but not have sip.auth itself.

Its like having leaves of a tree but a missing parent node, and as I said
before I don't like to type what should be the parent (sip.auth) and think
that because the edit filter field stays red I've mispelled it or something.

Also, because its a string containing the whole line, it lets you do things
like

sip.auth contains  "somethingyouwant"

which is otherwise tricky.

I think its worthwhile, but if I haven't convinced you,  I can live with
seeing 'M' for packet-sip.c
whenever I update from svn if I have to.

Best regards,
Martin