Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Trivial packet-sip.c [patch]

From: "Lars Roland" <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:10:11 +0100
Am 24.03.2006, 21:01 Uhr, schrieb Martin Mathieson <martin.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Roland" <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
To: "Ethereal development" <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Trivial packet-sip.c [patch]

Am 24.03.2006, 15:11 Uhr, schrieb Martin Mathieson
<martin.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> This patch adds a hidden 'sip.auth' field, that will be present whenever
> one of the authenticiation/authorization headers is present.
>
> I believe this is one place where hidden fields are justified:
> - it is a substring of several sip.auth.* fields, so its reassuring to
> see the field turn green as you're typing in one of the visible fields
> - it lets you quickly find all of the frames with any of these fields
> (there are 4 different SIP headers that can contain the auth fields)
>
> Regards,
> Martin

You can achieve the same with sip.auth.scheme, which is a mandatory item
in these headers.

This is true, but sip.auth is easier to remember. I also don't like to have
some sip.auth.* fields but not have sip.auth itself.

Its like having leaves of a tree but a missing parent node, and as I said
before I don't like to type what should be the parent (sip.auth) and think that because the edit filter field stays red I've mispelled it or something.

Also, because its a string containing the whole line, it lets you do things
like

sip.auth contains  "somethingyouwant"

which is otherwise tricky.

OK, I think it is a good reason. But use "PROTO_ITEM_SET_HIDDEN(item)" instead of the deprecated function,
e.g. as it is used for "ip.addr".

Regards,
Lars