Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Directory settings

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:45:10 +0100
From: Ulf Lamping

| Guy Harris wrote:
|
| >If you run it from a desktop shortcut on Windows, and the desktop
| >shortcut has a "run it from this directory" setting, it'll be run
from
| >that directory; I don't know what directory it's run in if that
setting
| >is absent.  (I can try it on NT 4.0 at some point.)
| >
| >The NSIS installer, unfortunately, doesn't appear to have a way not
| >specify a "run it from this directory" setting in the shortcut it
| >creates; I recently changed ethereal.nsi to make a SetOutPath call
| >set it to $PROFILE, which causes the user's "profile directory" to
be
| >the "run it from this directory" setting - that directory is the
| >equivalent of the home directory on UNIX.
| >

| I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do. The data in the
profile
| directory on win32 will be copied to the server each time
| you do a logoff, so this will copy probably a huge amount of data.
|
| Also some people reported, that the working dir must be the same as
the
| exe's dir, to work together with GTK-Wimp,
| however, I didn't tested this myself.

I tested this, and I also wrote the mail with this remark. Maybe we
can circumvent this requirement by having the Gtk-wimp library in the
path. This could be achieved for instance by installing the GTK
libraries in a system directory. However I don't know if this is a
good thing to do as the GTK libraries are *very* sensitive to
versioning, something difficult to control in Windows environments.

Regards,

Olivier