Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Directory settings

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:57:21 +0100
Hi List!

I currently find it very unintuitive, where Ethereal finds / uses all it's directories. There is also no way to get information, what the current settings are.

Example: When I start a capture with the filename "hello.cap", I'm not sure where the file will be placed into and "of course" there's no way to change this :-(

Some places comes to my mind:

- working dir (this is the dir where "hello.cap" would be saved)
- program dir (where the .exe is, or how it's called under unix)
- plugins dir (where the plugins will be searched for, includes version string) - persconf dir (where the personal config files will be placed, e.g. personal colorfilters) - globalconf dir (where the global config files will be placed, e.g. global colorfilters)
- tmp dir (where an "unamed" new capture file will be placed)
- file open dir (pref setting already available)

Just for a first start, I wanted to get a list of the possible dirs, some of them might be duplicates.
Do I miss something?

IMHO we need a new page "Directories" somewhere in Edit/Preferences...
Most of the dirs are output only, some might be a new preference setting.

What do "the list" think?

Regards, ULFL