Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Checked in statistics menu, 3rd proposal

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:42:04 +0100
Hmmm, just checked in renaming this :-(

Ian Schorr wrote:

I'd strongly disagree with IO stat being renamed "Throughput" since "throughput" is only one of quite a few statistics that can be extracted from it.

Could you give some examples, what you are doing with it, so we could find a good name through this approach.

I'm not sure that I have a better name for it, though. "IO Stats" seems very accurate to me, though perhaps unintuitive (it seems fine to me, but perhaps that's because I'm familiar with the tool)?
I've asking some of my colleagues and they didn't get the name right, so it might only be that intuitive.

Nonetheless I'm still unhappy with "Throughput Graph" as I think you're right that it doesn't fit the purpose well.

First of all, I think "Graph" is a lot more descriptive than "Statistics".

"IO Statistics" is a bit too generic IMHO.

Some other names come to my mind:

Traffic Graph
Filtered Graph
User Specified Graph (my favorite!)