Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next Release: Win32 NSIS installer pendingquestions

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:33:07 +0100
From: "Guy Harris"

| On Feb 4, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Olivier Biot wrote:
|
| > From: "Guy Harris"
| > | At least for color filters, there are both user and system-wide
| > color
| > | filters; would a default color filters file be a user file or a
| > | system-wide file?
| >
| > Definitely!
|
| Well, yes, a default color filter file should definitely either be a
| user file or a system-wide file, given that, at least in Ethereal as
it
| currently exists, it *has* to be one of those.
|
| My question, however, was "which one of those should it be?", which
is
| a question for which "yes" (or "definitely") isn't a valid answer.
:-)

Ooooooops wrong answer. Replace user and press F1 to continue :)
I am in favor of a global default color filter file or even a set of
*global* color filter files which each serve a specific purpose. An
installer should not bother the user and the files created by the
user.

| > Display filters change over time, so we really need to verify that
the
| > default ones remain valid when upgrading (this also applies to
color
| > filters). Maybe we'll have to provide a script that replaces
outdated
| > protocol and field names with the new ones. As a matter of fact,
this
| > also applies to preferences.
|
| For preferences, that shouldn't be done in a script, it should be
done
| in "prefs.c" - there's a large chunk of code in "prefs.c" to do
exactly
| that.

So we only need to add code to handle the display filter changes then?

Regards,

Olivier