Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next Release: Win32 NSIS installer pendingquestions

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:04:58 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris"

| On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:16 AM, Ulf Lamping wrote:
|
| > Do we want to add some default configuration files (cfilters,
| > colorfilters, dfilters, preferences)?

[...]

| Color filters:
|
| At least for color filters, there are both user and system-wide
color
| filters; would a default color filters file be a user file or a
| system-wide file?

Definitely!

| And what colors and filter expressions would it have?  Is there a
set
| that would be close enough to what most people would want that it'd
| even make *sense* to have a default color filter file?  Or are color
| filters enough of a personal thing that a default color filter file
| wouldn't make sense?

We need a preference allowing us to enable/disable color filter
support, so we can keep the color filter files. An even better
approach would be to enable/disable selected color filters (similar to
the enabled/disabled protocols).

| Capture and display filters:
|
| Ethereal currently has no notion of a system-wide capture or display
| filter file.  Should we add a system-wide file for them, too, and
| supply a set of useful filters in them?

Mmmmh... capture filters heavily depend on the libpcap version if I
remember correctly. We must ensure that we do not use exotic filters
in that file then.

Display filters change over time, so we really need to verify that the
default ones remain valid when upgrading (this also applies to color
filters). Maybe we'll have to provide a script that replaces outdated
protocol and field names with the new ones. As a matter of fact, this
also applies to preferences.

[...]

Regards,

Olivier