Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next Release: Win32 NSIS installer pendingquestions

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:18:25 -0800

From: "Guy Harris"
| At least for color filters, there are both user and system-wide
color
| filters; would a default color filters file be a user file or a
| system-wide file?

Definitely!

Well, yes, a default color filter file should definitely either be a user file or a system-wide file, given that, at least in Ethereal as it currently exists, it *has* to be one of those.

My question, however, was "which one of those should it be?", which is a question for which "yes" (or "definitely") isn't a valid answer. :-)

Display filters change over time, so we really need to verify that the
default ones remain valid when upgrading (this also applies to color
filters). Maybe we'll have to provide a script that replaces outdated
protocol and field names with the new ones. As a matter of fact, this
also applies to preferences.

For preferences, that shouldn't be done in a script, it should be done in "prefs.c" - there's a large chunk of code in "prefs.c" to do exactly that.