Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patch to show interface's name in packet-dcerpc.c (win32 only

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:03:44 +0100
jaime.fournier@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Anyway to report those unknown uuid's back with number/name?
Would be nice to somehow get those reported back so we could atleast
write a stub dissector for them.
Just a thought

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:20:39 -0800 Yaniv Kaul <ykaul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Attached patch looks up in the Windows registry for the name of the
DCE-RPC/DCOM interface, and if found, displays it.
This takes place only if the interface is not parsed already by
Ethereal.
As it is a Win32 only capabiity, it is surrounded by #ifdef WIN32.

Diff'ed against packet-dcerpc.c from Ethereal CVS 2004-01-20.

An empty stub dissector without any dissection might only blow up the number of files.

We might better have a list of known UUIDs with unknown methods then.

Of course, if we get knowledge of some of the UUID methods, we can add a stub dissector and write some code in it :-)

Regards, ULFL