Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Future of Wireshark's Debian packaging scripts in the main r

From: João Valverde <j@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:08:17 +0000

On 21/12/23 12:43, Bálint Réczey wrote:
Hi João,

On 2023. Dec 21., Thu at 12:02, João Valverde <j@xxxxxx> wrote:

    On 20/12/23 23:20, Anders Broman wrote:
    > Hi,
    > To me it is a useful feature to be able to easily build .deb
    packages
    > and make repos to easily update and maintain wireshark across
    servers.
    > This is a feature I vote for us to keep regardless of any
    opinion on
    > how Debian build their packages. Maybe a Debian mailing list is a
    > better place to discuss their build system?

    I don't know what that has anything to do with what I said below but
    that is totally fine. I'm not against a Debian package. I'm against
mirroring Debian in this project. I note you

The package is not an exact mirror of the one in Debian. I make changes in Debian first targeting Debian unstable that has the latest packages and I follow the latest best practices there.

The packaging scripts here target the broadest set of supported Debian an Ubuntu releases to help installing it anywhere. A good example is that Wireshark in unstable builds wit Qt6, while the Debian scripts here use Qt5.

I cherry pick changes which I believe to be useful here. I noticed that others updated build dependencies here earlier sometimes as Wireshark started supporting building with them in master and I’m thankful for that. Also thanks for other packaging related fixes.

I already explained in this thread why the package and file layout are the same here as in Debian.

I agree it makes life easier for you but I don't agree that it is a technical requirement or that it benefits anyone else. Anyway I think Wireshark should be using CPack for Debian and RPM and that is my final contribution to this topic.

Regards,

João