Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Future of Wireshark's Debian packaging scripts in the main r

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:35:49 +0100

>> I am not saying they should do it or that I appreciate it happening. All I am saying is that it happens and is happening and we did not put a stop to it in time. Should they expect it to be reliable? Of course not as I answered also in other threads on this matter. But at the same time I see no point in having them hit a wall face on, rather work in such cases where we know about it, to ensure them moving to a saner approach.
>
> What?! I'm back to confused... So you don't like the situation, you say. Here's a thought.. maybe if Debian didn't publish system libraries in our name with these stupid symbol lists then people wouldn't get the crazy idea they could use these libraries that were published for this exact purpose and build their own software on top of it and expect it to work reliable and not break every other release, like most other non-Wireshark Debian libraries.
>
> I wonder what could be done about that. I guess Debian would get that clue pretty darn quick if we weren't mirroring their broken setup in our repository, thereby sanctioning it.
>
> I don't know, call me crazy. Or did I misunderstand again? Sure seems complicated to get my head around this for such a simple topic as is software release and distribution.

Just a thought, libvirt was not created by debian but RedHat so the state of debian packaging has nothing to do with them. Debians package is merely moving their approach onto Debian, but the decision to implement libvirts plugin in such a way had been done by RedHats folks. And most other packages I know that use this approach as well are Windows based. Again nothing to do with Debian. So could we separate these issues please?