Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Gtk warning

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:26:43 -0800
LEGO wrote:

the DISPLAY environment variable is not set.

You are probably using the terminal application instead of an xterm
(X11) to start ethereal.

You can start it from Terminal if DISPLAY has been explicitly set to ":0.0".

Of course, this also requires that X11 be running; if it's not running, you need to start it. That requires that it be installed. Releases prior to 10.3 don't come with X11; it might be available from Fink or DarwinPorts. 10.3 comes with X11; I don't remember whether it's pre-installed or if there's an installer somewhere (there isn't one in /Applications/Installers on my PowerBook, so perhaps it's installed by default). If it's installed, it's in /Applications/Utilities; you can arrange to start it by default when you log in by adding it to the list of startup items for your account by editing your account in the Accounts section of System Preferences.

Perhaps this should go in the README.macos file that's part of the Ethereal source distribution, but that might not help users who install a binary package. Another possibility would be to have, on the Ethereal Web site or the Ethereal Wiki, pages with platform-dependent installation and use information for various OSes. (I might vote for putting it on the Wiki, so that users can update it themselves.)