Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RE: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 10.8 (win and linux) crashing -

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:51:59 -0800
Francisco Alcoba (TS/EEM) wrote:

There is a bug in packet-x11.c, see the mails below for the history. In function
listOfKeycode a "buffer" of 1024 chars is used to store a string related to keycodes (?).
Ethereal crashes because the number of keycodes makes the string longer than that.
Just changing the definition to 4096, which does not seem to be a good solution, avoids
the crash. Unfortunately, I know nothing of x11, so I don't really know which would be the way to really correct it -i.e. should it allow for a maximum of 1024 characters and
stop reading keycodes after that, should it use dynamic allocation of the string, etc.-.

One good way to correct it is to put the protocol tree item into the tree *before* looping through the list of keycodes, and then append to the item with proto_item_append_text(). That way you don't need to choose a fixed size for the buffer, as you don't have a buffer.

I've checked in a change to do that.

Anyway the packet detail does not show the whole string in "buffer", I don't know why.

There's a fixed maximum length for protocol tree items' display representation; the string exceeded it.