Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] TCP Throughput for HTTP

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:20:57 +1100
All of them probably! For instance I know that the standard MS IE
browser opens up to 4 HTTP (TCP port 80) streams by default when you
open a page that has lots of images imbedded. Each of the threads
aggressively tries to download the images until all are done. Then after
30 secs they will FIN the connection. Assuming that your model is
simple, that is the only thing on you web server box (IP address) is the
HTTP web service, then just plot all the traffic between your browser
and that IP address. If there are other things going on to that server
(such as DNS) or if your web page includes images (or javascript gets
content) from other servers the you will need to be more judicious with
filtering to get the correct plot.

Martin Visser ,CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

3 Richardson Place
North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113, Australia

Phone: +61-2-9022-1670
Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.