Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 10.8 (win and linux) crashing - x11

From: Matevž Pustišek <matevz.pustisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:36:10 +0100
Hi!

I have captured some network traffic using Ethereal 10.8 on a Debian machine. The capturing went well. During the analysis of the captured file, Ethereal 10.8. (both linux and win) crashes and tethereal reports a segmentation fault. I managed to locate (one of) the problematic packet (it is attached to this email). In widows version opening the file causes the crash. With tethereal (win) I have to specify some filtering to cause it, eg:

tethereal -r crashing-2005-01-07.cap -w abc.cap tcp

The linux version of tetheral reports a segmentation fault in this case. I managed to get the following message in some cases with windows version:

Can anyone advise me, how to overcome this.

Beside this, is there a more efficient way to locate the problematic packets in such case in a large (in my case >200k pkt) capture file. The counter in tethereal gave me an approximate index of the packet, but I had to scann (truncating the original capture file with editcap) an interval of about 100 packets around the last index reported, to actually find the "guilty" one.

Thanks and kind regards, Matevz Pustisek
email: matevz.pustisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: + 386 (01) 4768 844
fax:   + 386 (01) 4768 732
mail:  FE,LT,Trzaska 25,1000 LJ,Slovenia