Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] MAC OS X, Ethereal, and Fink. Help please.

Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:30:18 +0100
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:49:59 -0800 (PST), Glen MacPherson
<tofinosurfer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I simply cannot pull together all the help docs, FAQs,
> and online help, and I am damn frustrated that Windows
> is 20 times easier than Mac on this. I've tried three

That is because ethereal is not a Mac OS X App is a unix tool.

> I have successfully installed Developer Tools.
> I have successfully installed Fink Commander, although
> even after the double-password-entry thingy the GUI
> toolbar icons won't work - I must go through the menu
> items that call up Terminal.
> Ethereal is supposedly installed, but how do I run
> it!!? When I navigate to the bin directory and enter
> 'Ethereal', I get a missing file error.

Have you installed X11 (the X server)?
Ethereal won't run without it!
(It costs nothing, you can just download it from Apple)

If you do have an X server  and you installed it from fink it should
be in /sw/bin/ethereal (I'm not sure about the exact location  but for
sure is in a directory named "bin" under  /sw/ )

> VERY DUMB QUESTION, but is there not anywhere on the
> net where I can simply download Ethereal for OS X and
> run it?

There's fink, usualy not up to date but it distributes binaries.

And there is darwinports up to date but you need to compile it. (start
installing it and go to sleep it takes few hours).

Luis