Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] capturing a remote interface

From: "Silverstein, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Silverstein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:09:03 -0500
Title: capturing a remote interface

Hi I wrote before about this.  I'm trying to monitor a remote interface from my workstation.  I was using a crossover cable to test this first.  The remote interface didn't appear in the drop down list, so it was suggested that I use the rpcap utility but I can't get it to work right. Thanks for any help you can give.  Here's what's happening:

I tried to use rpcap to capture the packets to and from the remote nic, but I must be doing something wrong.  I was using the syntax

rpcap://10.11.12.13/adaptername.
What I typed specifically was
rpcapd://172.16.52.212/3Com EtherLink PCI: \Device\NPF_{C5533B45-4272-4036-8610-369AD6E69036}.
When I did this I got
Press CTRL + C to stop the server...
I also tried
rpcapd://172.16.52.212/3Com EtherLink PCI.

I got the same result.  Nothing appears to be happening.  I tried writing the output to a file and it didn't write the file.

Since these adapter names appeared in the Ethereal Capture Options Interface drop down list I assumed that one of these was the name of the adapter; is this correct or is the adapter name obtained in some other way?

What else might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Jeff