Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Concurrent Name Resolution

From: Bob Snyder <bob.snyder@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:19:53 -0800
Hello,

I have been seeing references here to an option called "Concurrent Name Resolution", but I can't find anything with that name when I look for it. I am running 0.10.7 on Linux. I have had problems with network name resolution and I want to try this option. Did I miss something in the configure script? Do I have something misconfigured?

My Preferences->Name Resolution dialog has only:

Enable MAC name Resolution
Enable network name resolution
Enable transport name resolution

Thanks,

Bob S,

Francisco Alcoba (TS/EEM) wrote:

Hi all

Installing Ethereal, no problem
Launching Ethereal, no problem
Stopping Ethereal, there is a problem.

I always got this wonderful window saying to report this problem to Microsoft.
My PC run Windows XP SP1 and the report indicate AppName: ethereal.exe AppVer: 0.10.7.0 ModName: adns_dll.dll
ModVer: 1.0.0.4      Offset: 0000127a

Is there any workaround to use Ethereal despite this problem?
Thanks

Hi,

More people have reported this previously, so it would be helpful if you can provide some information. Can you please try to:

- disable network name resolution
- enable it and disable concurrent name resolution

and see what happens? Both can be reached through Edit, Preferences, Name resolution. Additionally, can you check if you have DNS servers configured -you should be able to see this in a command window typing "ipconfig /all"- and if you can resolve DNS names normally -like in "ping www.ethereal.com" from the command window-.

According to the error text, I understand you are using the latest Ethereal version, 0.10.7. If not you should try first by upgrading to it.

Regards,

 Francisco