Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal Response time measuring

From: Steve Jones <sjones@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:49:07 -0400

Hi,

I've got a Unix host that I do not control, but suspect that performance problems are happening due to it being bogged down.  I have successfully set up Ethereal to capture all telnet traffic, and have a LOT of data to weed through.  I saw on the web page that the latest version has a function to report "response time" but I couldn't find anything specific in the man pages to help with what I'm trying to detect.

If anyone has done this, or has ideas, I'd love to hear about it.  What I guess I intend to do is to watch characters flow into the unix host, and see the echo coming back to the client, and see the time-delta to prove/disprove that the box itself has a problem...

FWIW, I am capturing from a monitoring port on the same switch with the host in question.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

-Steve