Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal Response time measuring

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:48:40 -0700

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 10:49 AM, Steve Jones wrote:

I've got a Unix host that I do not control, but suspect that performance problems are happening due to it being bogged down.  I have successfully set up Ethereal to capture all telnet traffic, and have aLOTof data to weed through. I saw on the web page that the latest version has a function to report "response time" but I couldn't find anything specific in the man pages to help with what I'm trying to detect.

Unfortunately, it only reports response time for some protocols - and Telnet isn't one of them. That's because Telnet isn't (other than when it's doing negotiation) a request/response protocol; it has no idea that, for example, a given character going in one direction is an echo of a character going in the other direction, and should be treated as a response to that character. (It gets harder if multiple characters go in a single TCP segment and the corresponding characters weren't in a single TCP segment.)

I don't know, offhand, of any good way to do what you're trying to do. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means somebody else will have to be the one to suggest it; perhaps somebody will.