Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] gtk1 support still necessary?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:05:10 +0100
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:38:57PM -0600, Gerald Combs wrote:

It's probably time to designate an upcoming release as "1.0", which would include GTK1 support and receive bug fixes and security updates. We could then remove GTK1 from the trunk and any post-1.0 releases.
I like the idea of getting an official 1.0 release and even more, dropping the GTK1 support as this will save us a lot of work.

As there are also some rumors of an upcoming GTK 3.x, we're already a bit "old" with our GTK1 support :-) And keeping three different versions with #ifdef in the sources doesn't seem to be really desirable ...

But I'm actually a bit skeptical about: "receive bug fixes and security updates"

Let's be honest, the buglist of the current beta grows with a few bugs each week (estimated), so we don't even keep up with the current incoming rate.

So who's really going to do this maintenance work, when the release and the latest branch are no longer in real sync after some time?

Regards, ULFL