Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Usability enhancement

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:01:46 +0100
Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 16.02.04 10:46:28:

> |From: Ronnie Sahlberg
> |
> |List,
> |
> |A friend recently suggested to me an enhancement he
> |thought would be useful in Ethereal:
> |
> |When we right click on an entry in the dissect pane,
> |add another item to thepopup-menu called something
> |like "Protocol Information" or something.
> |This would then (for those protocols where it has
> |been defined) a small dialog with a brief description
> |of the protocol and possibly a pointer to where more
> |information/the specification can be found.
>
> Join the Club :) I was thinking about the very same thing. First I thought
> about doing this within the proto_register_protocol() framework, but maybe
> we could do it in a simpler manner by adding a protocols subdirectory in the
> doc directory and write a small text file per protocol. If the file is
> present, then we're able to present a brief description of this protocol.
>
> How we then link the content of those files to Ethereal, is another
> discussion. We could generate stuff at compile time, or read in those
> descriptions at runtime etc.
>
> Fire your comments!

In my experience it's better to have one place of all available information about a specific thing.

So I tend to put this into the proto-xy.c file, rather than having a new text file at a completely different place.

This will make it more obvious to the developer to put some reasonable text into it.

Regards, ULFL
Extra-Konto: 2,50 %* Zinsen p. a. ab dem ersten Euro! Nur hier mit 25
Euro-Tankgutschein & ExtraPrämie! https://extrakonto.web.de/?mc=021110