Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Speeding up Ethereal

From: "Tan ChaurLih" <chaurlih@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:52:55 +0000
Hi All,

I'm currently using Ethereal to analyse logs which are collected on my home network. As I leave tcpdump running for extended periods (close to 24 hours per log), the captures end up to about 200+MB easily.

Since I need to filter for various protocol parameters regularly when auditing the traffic, I find Ethereal a pain as I have to wait quite a while, even on a P4 2.8GHz with 128MB of RAM, for ALL the packets to be dissected and then filtered. I was wondering if it was possible to cache the results of all packet dissection in memory or an external file and index it, avoiding the penalty of re-dissection on a change in filter expression. Of course, there would be situations where packet dissection must happen all over again (for example, changing some preferences), but for the most case, the re-dissection is due to filtering.

As I am currently a student with a rather light workload, and I'm interested in software development, I wonder if it's feasible for me to modify Ethereal to do this and then integrate the changes back. Being a newbie on the mailing list here, I would like to ask for the kind advice of the more established members =) .

  Thank you for your kind attention.

Charlie.

Let the advanced features & services of MSN Internet Software maximize your online time. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200363ave/direct/01/