Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Usability enhancement

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:45:16 +0100
|From: Ronnie Sahlberg
|
|List,
|
|A friend recently suggested to me an enhancement he
|thought would be useful in Ethereal:
|
|When we right click on an entry in the dissect pane,
|add another item to thepopup-menu called something
|like "Protocol Information" or something.
|This would then (for those protocols where it has
|been defined) a small dialog with a brief description
|of the protocol and possibly a pointer to where more
|information/the specification can be found.

Join the Club :) I was thinking about the very same thing. First I thought
about doing this within the proto_register_protocol() framework, but maybe
we could do it in a simpler manner by adding a protocols subdirectory in the
doc directory and write a small text file per protocol. If the file is
present, then we're able to present a brief description of this protocol.

How we then link the content of those files to Ethereal, is another
discussion. We could generate stuff at compile time, or read in those
descriptions at runtime etc.

Fire your comments!