Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Are the icons unsed in the tool bar available as SVGs or EPS

From: "Mark H. Wood" <mwood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:47:46 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Guy Harris wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 07:11:57AM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> >>They are originally available as png icons, have a look at:
> >>
> >>http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Stock-Items.html
> >>
> >>I don't know if this will look much better for printing.
> >>
> >>There are no other formats available, AFAIK.
> >>

> >I think the reason he asked about SVG and EPS is that they're
> >resolution-independent (as they consist of instructions for drawing the
> >icons, rather than consisting of pixels); PNG has the same problems as
> >XPM in that regard.
> >

> Vector based, yes I know.
>
> >If, as I suspect was the case, they were constructed with a pixel-based
> >icon editor, there's probably nothing resolution-independent available.
> >

> Nonetheless the png toolbar icons might look better than the xpm ones,
> as the conversion I've done into xpm didn't
> make the icons look better, although the quality loss was remarkably low.

The request for SVG or EPS suggests that he has no problem with the look
of the XPM icons; the problem is the size.  And scaling of bitmaps is
usually just ugly.

> This was a bit different for the dialog icons, as they were using
> transparency (for a nice looking drop shadow), which xpm just don't support.

XPM handles transparency just fine -- I have several icons on my screen
right now with transparent areas.  What it doesn't do is alpha blending,
which might be what you used for the shadow.  PNG supports alpha blending.

The icons look fairly simple, and might not be too hard to just recreate
as PS if the shading were not important.  Then they'd scale.  I wish I
wasn't such a PS newbie (and so poor at geometry)-:  or I'd do it.
Someone who's much more wizardly in PS could probably add the shading back
too.

(BTW I did write a PS program for a scalable "Ethereal 'e'" in case it's
ever useful.  The shield behind it has me stumped for now, though.)

- --
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
MS Windows *is* user-friendly, but only for certain values of "user".