Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Are the icons unsed in the tool bar available as SVGs or EPS

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:42:58 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 07:11:57AM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
They are originally available as png icons, have a look at:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Stock-Items.html

I don't know if this will look much better for printing.

There are no other formats available, AFAIK.

I think the reason he asked about SVG and EPS is that they're
resolution-independent (as they consist of instructions for drawing the
icons, rather than consisting of pixels); PNG has the same problems as
XPM in that regard.
Vector based, yes I know.

If, as I suspect was the case, they were constructed with a pixel-based
icon editor, there's probably nothing resolution-independent available.
Nonetheless the png toolbar icons might look better than the xpm ones, as the conversion I've done into xpm didn't
make the icons look better, although the quality loss was remarkably low.

This was a bit different for the dialog icons, as they were using transparency (for a nice looking drop shadow), which xpm just don't support.

So it might be a good idea to use the png icons for printing (as a "best currently possible" approach).

Regards, ULFL