Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Should we use scrolled_window_new instead of gtk_scrolled_win

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:35:39 -0800

On Feb 5, 2004, at 5:42 AM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

Although we have a common function for creating a scrolled window, named scrolled_window_new() in gtk/ui_util.c, sometimes this function is used, and sometimes gtk_scrolled_window_new().

Is this intentional for some reasons I just don't see, or is it only implemented that way, as the implementors had no idea of using our common function?

The latter, I suspect.

I tend to replace all appearances of gtk_scrolled_window_new() by scrolled_window_new().

Sounds reasonable.

a) make the preference setting "Vertical scrollbar placement" take effect for every scrolled window, not only the ones where currently our function is used.

So is there some GTK+ or GNOME preference to let users select where they want their scrollbars (in which case we should honor it - if it's GNOME, presumably we'd do so only if GNOME is being used), or is that purely left up to the application?

b) I would like to add a call to gtk_scrolled_window_set_shadow_type(GTK_SHADOW_IN) for GTK2, as this will make the scrolled windows look like in the GTK1 versions (and identical to the GTK2 text entries for example, too).

So is GTK_SHADOW_IN the "typical" scrollbar style for GTK+ 2.x applications?

c) we could also put a call to gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy(GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC, GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC) to the function in ui_util.c, so typically scrollbars are only shown when they are needed, meaning when the window is too small.

And then have only those places that don't want automatic scrollbars request an alternate policy?