Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] GPL and plugins

From: "Magnus Adamsson" <magnus.adamsson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:36:21 +0100
Hi,

I have only just started using ethereal for some debugging purposes at work and quickly realised it could be of huge benefit with a few plugins for our proprietary protocols.

However about half way through implementing my first dissector I have some questions about the GPL and how it applies to plugins for ethereal. Is it possible to make a plugin for a proprietary protocol without the GPL applying?

Also, if it is possible under GPL, would the community prefer if I kept protocols, which hardly can be of any use to someone else, out of the source tree for ethereal?

Regards

//Magnus