Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RE: [Ethereal-cvs] cvs commit: ethereal/epan strutil.c

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:47:08 -0800

On Feb 5, 2004, at 3:49 AM, Biot Olivier wrote:

|  We can't test the GTK+ version in dissectors or libethereal code, as
|  they don't include any GTK+ headers (and shouldn't do so, as
|  they can't use GTK+); we use the GLib version as a proxy.

I am not sure whether this will work as Windows builds use Glib 2.2.3
and Gtk+ 1.x (or Gtk+ 2).

Windows builds use either GTK+ 1.3[.x] or 2.x, both of which use UTF-8 internally - as the page at

	http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

says:

GTK+ 1.3 for Windows (and GTK+ 2.x on all platforms) uses Unicode internally. All strings you pass to GTK+ functions must be in UTF-8. You can not just use non-ASCII characters from some Windows single- or multi-byte codepage.

As we now use Glib 2.x for Windows, "are we using Glib 2.x?" should always be true on Windows, just as "do the GTK+ routines take UTF-8" is always true on Windows.

On UN*X+X, we presumably will be using Glib 2.x iff we're using GTK+ 2.x, and GTK+ 2.x uses UTF-8. GTK+ 1.2[.x] doesn't use UTF-8, even though the Windows GTK+ 1.3[.x] does.