Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Info-column in PDML

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 03:52:47 +0100
Gilbert Ramirez wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 15:33, Martin Regner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Wouldn't it be good to have the Info-column information in the PDML file
> > also?
> > That is actually the one main thing I'm missing in the PDML output, I
think.

> > Maybe an optional field "summaryinfo" in the geninfo proto part or a
> > "frame.summaryinfo" in the frame proto part.
> > What do you think is best?
> >

> What's needed is the ability to print packet data in PSML instead of
> PDML. PDML shows the packet details. PSML shows the packet summaries,
> which should include the Info column.

I agree that it would be good to have PSML format output from Ethereal. For
some of the applications I'm thinking of it is probably better to use PSML,
but for some it will be good to use PDML with Info-column information when I
need both packet details and Info-column things.

It could be possible to produce both  PDML file and a PSML file and read
both of them in order to get both details and
the Info-column things, but I was thinking that it might be good to have the
Info-column data in PDML.