Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Inserting a non-standard Ethernet dissector?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:24:33 -0800

On Feb 3, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Peter J. Creath wrote:

Incidentally, I think the ISL glue in packet-eth.c could be moved out to an heuristic sub-dissector once this patch is in place (although you might then want to turn on the heuristic sub-dissectors by default).

The ISL stuff should perhaps be done with a dissector table that works on MAC addresses; currently, we have only 32-bit unsigned integer and string dissector tables, but we could add support for MAC-address-based dissector tables, to handle protocols that, like ISL, involve non-802.3 packets sent to particular MAC addresses.

Does your protocol send to particular multicast addresses (under the assumption that the intended recipients will handle those addresses specially and not do regular 802.3 processing on those packets), or does it send to unicast addresses (under the assumption that those recipients will somehow know that the packets aren't 802.3 packets)? If so, how do those recipients determine that the packet is one of your special packets rather than an 802.3 packet?