Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Inserting a non-standard Ethernet dissector?

From: "Peter J. Creath" <peter-ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:15:01 -0500
Alternatively, you could modify the Ethernet dissector to have an option
to pass on packets to another dissector.

I think I've come up with a reasonably good solution. I've attached the patch to packet-eth.c.

Basically, I've added (optional) support for heuristic sub-dissectors within dissect_ether_common. The default is for this to be inactive, but it will allow others to interpose their own dissectors in the future without having to edit packet-eth.c.

Incidentally, I think the ISL glue in packet-eth.c could be moved out to an heuristic sub-dissector once this patch is in place (although you might then want to turn on the heuristic sub-dissectors by default).

	-P