Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] new compression mechanism for nsis installer

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:10:20 +0100
Lars Roland wrote:

Hello,

the latest nsis releases contain a new additional compression mechanism:
Lzma

Lzma's compression is stronger than bzip2's which is used by nsis by default. There is a big impact on ethereal's nsis installer's size.
Lzma reduces the size from about 13.5 MB to 9.3 MB .

Attached patch activates Lzma in nsis.

The current nsis-script for ethereal and this patch require at least nsis-rc1. nsis-rc3 is the most recent version on the nsis website, rc4 is already available on sourceforge.

That's incredible!

Beside the fact that compressing is now *much* slower even on fast machines,
this really reduces the size to the values Lars reports, I just can't believe it :-)

I've checked it in, but put it under the !ifdef MAKENSIS_MODERN_UI as this will usually correspond.

We might get rid of the MAKENSIS_MODERN_UI completely, if the NSIS people will release their 2.0 version ...

Regards, ULFL