Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] GUI: Statusbar changes

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 01:37:12 +0100
Hi List!

I've updated the stausbar info to some more things I found interesting.

The statusbar is now split into two entries:

a) main status
b) packet status

The main status will show the filename (just like before), the filesize, the elapsed time during capturing and eventually the dropped packet count, e.g:

File: capture.cap 1296 KB 00:02:34

The packet status will show the number of packets in the capture file, the currently displayed packets and the currently marked packets:

P: 6900 D: 4000 M: 0

I was thinking about, if it would be a better idea to show the currently filtered out packets (the number of packets *not* displayed), but after thinking of it, I tend to think that it's usually more interesting to get a number of packets you currently see than to the ones you don't see..

To implement this, I had to include the new field displayed_count to the capture_file struct, so please make a "rebuild all".

I tried to put a tooltip on the statusbars to explain this values a bit more, but this doesn't show any effect :-(

I've also changed the <capture> output to (Untitled), if a new unnamed capture file is done, as this "name" is more common IMHO.

The reason why I changed the brackets from <> to () is just that we will get a lot of trouble with pango markup strings with this. Pango (GTK2) uses the <> markup for texts (just like HTML), so it might not be a good idea to use this for filenames.

Regards, ULFL