Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next release

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:10:29 -0600
On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:19:15 Guy Harris wrote:

> > IMO, the only thing WxWindows needs is a serial port class, but that is
> > not an issue with Ethereal.
>
> If by "serial port class" you mean "an implementation that provides a
> curses-based UI", it's not *currently* an issue with Ethereal, but
> people *have* expressed an interest in a curses-based Ethereal.

I thought he meant a class to read serial ports, but I don't know why
that would be an a UI library.

> I think Gilbert's looked at wxWindows a bit - Gilbert, do you have any
> comments?

I haven't played with the C++ wxWindows, only the Python bindings for it.
Regarding the Python bindings, I've found the documentation to be both
out-of-sync with reality and just plain incorrect, thus making it really
hard to program with wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org/).

I've use PyGTK and PyQt. PyGTK is nice, easy to use, but of course
has all the shortcomings of GTK ("why isn't such-and-such a variable
publicly accessible?"). PyQt is nice, too, and Qt is very well documented.
PyQT was a bit hard to build from source, but after that, it's easy
to use once you understand how Qt works.

--gilbert