Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SSL Decoding?

From: Scott Renfro <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:21:18 -0800
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:38:51AM -0600, David Frascone wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 Jan 2002, Scott Renfro wrote:
> >
> > The Ethereal ssl dissector doesn't support this, but Eric Rescorla's
> > ssldump utility does.  http://www.rtfm.com/ssldump/
>
> That's an awesome little toy.  I've just gotten premission from the author
> to integrate it's functionality into Ethereal.  Now let's see if I can
> ever find the time to do it :)

Now that there's tcp desegmentation support, this wouldn't be too hard
for the typical RSA case, but the conflict between the openssl license
and the GPL may be a harder issue to resolve (in effect prohibiting
linking a GPL'd app (e.g., ethereal, tethereal) against the OpenSSL
libraries on OSs that don't include OpenSSL as part of the base system).
FYI, Eric's ssldump license is arguably incompatible for the same reason
(advertising clause).

Opinions vary widely on how big a deal this license issue really is.

--Scott

--
Scott Renfro <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>