Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next release

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:19:15 -0800 (PST)
> I use Ethereal on both Linux and Windows.  I have wondered for awhile if
> anyone has thought of using WxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org) as the
> GUI framework.  It is essentially L-GPL'ed (Library General Public License).
> WxWindows uses GTK+ (or optionally the Motif) widgets on Unix

But not Qt and KDE?  I think a KDE version of Ethereal might be useful.
(Somebody's done a KDE version, although it replaces more code from the
top-level directory than I'm happy with - the linked-list-of-frames data
structure, for example, should be maintained by code in the Ethereal
core, rather than differing from toolkit to loolkit.)

What about GNOME (using not only raw GTK+, but also GNOME)?  People
might want a version of Ethereal that looks like a GNOME application,
using the GNOME dialog-box code, for example.

What about GTK+ 2.x/GNOME 2.x when that comes out?

Note also that, at some point, I'll probably be doing a custom
replacement for the GtkCList widget used for the packet list - the
custom widget will, instead of allocating strings for all of the
columns, just call back to a routine to get the text in the column, so
they can be generated on the fly.  This will save some memory, as well
as allowing it to instantaneously change, for example, the format in
which time stamps are displayed, and will probably also allow us to
support changing the list of displayed columns on the fly.

Does wxWindows allow UNIX applications to add a file descriptor to the
set of file descriptors on which the main loop does a "select()" or
"poll()", or do you have to call the underlying toolkit to do that?  Can
it add a new event handle to the set of handles on which the main loop
waits in Windows?  At some point I plan to make the Ethereal main loop
do that with the file descriptor for the libpcap capture device.

> IMO, the only thing WxWindows needs is a serial port class, but that is
> not an issue with Ethereal.

If by "serial port class" you mean "an implementation that provides a
curses-based UI", it's not *currently* an issue with Ethereal, but
people *have* expressed an interest in a curses-based Ethereal.

I think Gilbert's looked at wxWindows a bit - Gilbert, do you have any
comments?