Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Is there a NIC that can filter on multiple MAC addresses?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:06:20 -0800 (PST)
> My apologies if this isn't the right place to pose this question.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to have a NIC filter packets from a list of MAC
> addresses.

Some network interfaces can be given more than one MAC address to which
to listen.  I don't know all the ones that can - but all of the Ethernet
interfaces Network Appliance have used on machines that support our
clustered failover capability, for example, support that (as we use it
for failover - the failover partner of a dead machine takes over that
machine's MAC addresses).

> I would also need to be able to modify the list (add/remove) of MAC
> addresses from a program in real time.

On some OSes you can add and remove MAC addresses from an interface's
list of MAC addresses *if* the interface and its driver support it.
Some UNIXes, for example, support SIOCxxx ioctl's to do that.