Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: Large binary after compilation

From: ron flory <ron.flory@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:52:56 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:
ron flory wrote:

 While generally true for workstations, embedded and other flash-memory
based systems often don't have that much space to begin with.

They also might not be the right machine on which to run Ethereal or even Tethereal; tcpdump might be better, but if you have some small embedded system, the ideal might be a *really* small program that only captures traffic and sends it somewhere else for analysis.

 I agree completely, such systems are better suited to remote capture.

 On the other hand mid-sized systems (several Linux PDA's for example)
often have just enough flash/ram to support a GUI and a few major apps.
Burning ~20MB for unnecessary symbols is precious storage that could be
put to better use for capture files, etc.

 OK, I think we've beat this poor thing to death now...

ron