Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Large binary after compilation

From: Andrew Reeves <asreeves@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 05:36:53 -0700 (PDT)
>>Guy Harris wrote:
>>
>>     Andrew Reeves wrote:
>>
>>         I've have successfully compiled Ethereal
version
>>         0.10.13. However, I find that the binary is
really
>>         huge > 24M after running 'strip -s'. I've
downloaded
>>         some ethereal rpms and the size is no where
near that
>>         large. How can I get not binary to between
5M and 15M?

>     Did you build it as a static binary? If so,
that's >probably the problem. "strip" (without "-s")
on the OS >X PowerPC dynamically-linked binary I built
recently >yields a file of about 1M.

>     On what operating system are you building it?

The OS is generic linux. The libraries contain the
bulk of the package.

These are the sizes of the dir created

1.2M    bin
19M     lib
208K    man
4.1M    share
24M     total

The file lib/libethereal.so.0.0.1 alone is 13M.

If there was a way to eliminate this file or reduce it
would help to reduce the overall size of the package

BTW I guess I meant large package instead of large
distirbution as I'm refering to the bins, libs, docs,....

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs