Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Sun solaris ethereal trace not opening in linux

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:35:08 -0700
Atif Rasheed wrote:

Please help me in this regard. I have taken a trace on a Sun Solaris
machine ver 5.8 . now when I copy it to my linux machine intel Pentium +
kernel 2.6.11, I receive this error.

"The capture file appears to be damaged or corrupt. (pcap: File has
1459617792-byte packet, bigger than maximum of 65535)"

How did you copy the file?

Is the file the same size on both machines?

(I'd say "try running the 'sum' command on the file on both machines", but I don't know whether the 'sum' commands on Solaris and on Linux distributions use the same checksum algorithm by default.)

is it a bug ???

It might be a bug, or it might be that the file was damaged in the process of copying.