Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Installation problem on Solaris

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:56:15 -0500
The /opt/sfw GTK+ packages are available from Sun:

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/

Aside from Sun you can get Solaris packages from the following locations
(and many others):

  http://www.sunfreeware.com/
  http://www.blastwave.com/
  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/
  http://www.openpkg.org/

At some point I'd like to update the Solaris packages to use GLib/GTK+
2, ADNS, PCRE, and Net-SNMP along with a few other improvements.  Is
there a particular freeware package distribution that should be used for
this?  Should we do like commercial packages (i.e. CiscoWorks) and dump
Ethereal and all of its support libraries into one huge /opt/Ethereal
directory?

While we're on the subject, why does everyone (including Sun) build
separate freeware packages for different versions of Solaris?  Shouldn't
a package built for Solaris 8 (or 7 or 2.5.1) run just fine under 10?
(This isn't Linux, after all.)