Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] No Traffic THIS Time

From: "Robinson, Eric" <Eric.Robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:23:25 -0800

I’ve used Ethereal for years on hundreds of PCs. Never had a problem, aside from a little BPF parsing weirdness in the early days of WinPcap.

But now I’ve got a machine that won’t see promisc traffic on one of its 2 interfaces. It has an Intel Pro/100+ Server Adapter and a cheapo RealTek 10/100. The Intel only sees its own traffic, even though it is plugged into a mirrored switch port. A notebook computer plugged into the same port sees it all.

I assume this means WinPcap is having trouble setting the NIC register to put the card in promisc mode, or some such? I dunno, I’ve tried removing all vestiges of WinPcap and Ethereal, rebooting and reinstalling. I’ve tried uninstalling the NIC driver and letting Win2000 re-detect it. No joy.

What am I missing?

--

Eric Robinson