Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Following a series of HTTP streams

From: Eric Siegerman <erics@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:56:21 -0500
I've just tripped across a web app that instructs the browser to
open a new TCP connection for *every* resource, even those that
are fetched sequentially.  And even in the typical case, the web
browser fetches a page's ancillary resources (images and such) in
parallel, over a number of simultaneous TCP connections.  In both
of these cases, but especially the first, "Follow TCP Stream"
does an incomplete job of presenting what was going on -- you
have to invoke it on each of the streams, and keep track yourself
of the interrelationships.

Can Ethereal follow the entire series of TCP streams at once and
merge them into one display?  What I have in mind is something
that generates output like that from "Follow TCP stream", except
that the request/response pairs from all the relevent streams
would be collated together, based on the time the request was
sent.

If Ethereal doesn't have that feature, does anyone know of
another tool that does?

Thanks.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics@xxxxxxxxxxxx
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
	- Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"