Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capturing packets addressed to loopback interface

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:50:11 -0800
Michael G. Soulakis wrote:

thanks for the response.  It is showing up on Ethereal's interface list.

You probably built Ethereal with a recent version of libpcap; it turns out that code I'd put into libpcap not to include in the list of interfaces those interfaces that can't be opened for capture had been removed - I just checked in a change to put it back.

It also list logical interfaces that cannot be sniffed independently (e.g.e qfe0:1 vs qfe0)
but they are all listed in Ethereal's interface list pull-down.

There also wasn't code in libpcap to skip Solaris logical interfaces; I added that.

Thanks for finding this.

I think you can't add additional IP addresses to an interface that already has one IP address except by adding a new logical interface; if so, the Solaris libpcap code needs to handle logical interfaces by getting their IP address/netmask/etc. and adding those to the list of IP addresses for the "real" interface. I'll look at doing that.