Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] development information

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:19:15 -0800 (PST)
Benoit ALBERT said:

> so for explain better my need, it's a little difficult.
> so for my immediat need, i search about the equivalent of field
> "cfile.state" in my dissector

Why do you need that information in a dissector?

If you're just trying to distinguish between the first time a packet is
dissected and later times when it's dissected, you should use the
"visited" flag for the current frame - pinfo->fd->flags.visited.  It's
false the first time it's dissected when the file is read in, or the first
time it's dissected when a redissection is being done (for example, when a
protocol preference setting is changed), and true other times.

Note that "cfile.state" isn't maintained by Tethereal, so it cannot be
used by dissectors.