Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Switched networks

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:46:25 -0800
louie soria wrote:

Hi my name is Louie I install ethereal on our network
the other day on my desktop PC (XP). My manager said
that we are on a switched network, so the only packets
that I will capture are the broadcast packets. Is this
true?

Sort of - the only packets you're likely to see are broadcast and multicast packets, packets sent directly to your machine, and packets sent by your machine:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq#q5.1

If so what would I have to do in order to
capture all packets?

See the FAQ item (and the Ethereal Wiki item it refers to).