Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] capturing on multiple links on single PC

From: Moshe Haviv <mhaviv2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:13:06 +0100 (BST)
Hi Philippe,

1- I have heard that in Solaris, and theretically in Linux, capturing on more than one interface on the same PC with one ETHEREAL process is possible.

2- It is always possible to start more than one ETHEREAL process  each for a different interface and capture. I tested that on a PC with Win2000 and with two NICS. It works.
My guess is if the computer and/or the network is busy some packets might get lost in such situations.I am not so sure about 5-6 ETHEREAL processes running in parallel, even in LINUX. Accuracy will be lower. With those kind of numbers, depending on the CPU on the computer you are using, you might the CPU/RAM capabilities.
If I were you I would do a test and measure the CPU/MEM utilization.

3- For network delay/jitter/packet drops there are Hardware/Software solutions but are expensive, In the range of some 40-50,000 dollars

Best Regards

Moshe

Philippe De Neve <Philippe.deneve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everybody,

is there a possibility to capture with one ethereal process on different
interfaces? I know there is the possibility to select "any" in the interface
list in the capture window but this doesnt seem to work!
My problem is as follows: I want to capture before and after a device. I can
do this on different PC's because this does not reveal the absolute delay
the device introduces. Only the jitter is measurable.
Does other capturing software support this kind of measurements better?

Another question:

If I start a number of ethereal processes and all capture on different
interfaces, lets say 6 in total, is this asking for troubles or will this
work just fine.

All of this is of course on linux OS!

wfr, Philippe