Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: finding crc errors

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:56:18 -0500
I think, I should change my question. I was reading a document regarding troubleshooting a distributed application. Their recommendation was to setup side by side traces or simply, 2 sniffer on both ends, 1 on the client side and the other 1 on the server side. Assuming I have done this, what is my next step to figure out bottlenecks in WAN or application? Thanks, Neil Michael Tuexen writes:
Just to be clear:
Ethernet uses a CRC,
TCP uses a checksum.
Best regards
Michael On Sep 7, 2004, at 5:53 Uhr, Hansang Bae wrote:
On 03:55 PM 8/31/2004, Neil wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a way for finding crc errors in TCP header just like how it was mentioned here, http://www.networkuptime.com/tips/crc_in_tcp/index.html Unfortunately, it is not for Ethereal. So how do we search CRC problems in Ethereal? Can someone walk me through please?

Are you looking for Ethernet checksum information or TCP crc info? Unless you have a) a hub based network or b) Cabletron switches, you will not be able to capture Ethernet checksum issues. All the switches that I worked with will not pass along damaged Ethernet frames. Cabletron was the exception. hsb