Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] what are your thoughts?

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:42:56 -0400
On 12:16 PM 8/31/2004, Neil wrote:
>Hey guys,
>If you see a lot of TCP retransmission from server to client, what do you think about it? Where do you think the problem is? What are the things that I should look at?
>Thanks,

Put a sniffer on the client.  Does it see "missing" or "out of sequence" packets?  This indicates that the packets were lost during transit.  You can also use TCP SEQUENCE analysis of Ethereal (quite nice!) to find out if you are getting triple duplicate-ACKs.  This is a good indication that packets are getting lost on the way to the client PC.

hsb